Berliner Disconto Bank / Deutsche Bank Berlin (in German)
The Berliner Disconto Bank was founded in 1949 in West Berlin as a successor of Deutsche Bank, which was no longer allowed to appear under its name - as it had been in West Germany since 1947/48. While the business activities of private banks in the eastern part of Berlin had been prohibited since 1945, the Berliner Disconto Bank was able to continue the business of the Deutsche Bank in the western sectors - mainly with its former employees. In contrast to the Federal Republic of Germany, where Deutsche Bank AG was re-established as a single institution in 1957, Berliner Disconto Bank continued to exist due to the special political position of West Berlin. With the renaming to Deutsche Bank Berlin in 1978, the connection to Deutsche Bank Group was also emphasised more strongly externally.
After the end of the division of Berlin in the course of the reunification of Germany, the separate path came to an end. In April 1991, Deutsche Bank Berlin with its almost 100 city branches at that time was merged into Deutsche Bank AG.
1949 - 1963
1964 - 1977
1978 - 1990