Deutsche Ueberseeische Bank (in German)
Deutsche Uebersee Bank was founded in 1886 as a subsidiary of Deutsche Bank, it was headquartered in Berlin and renamed Deutsche Ueberseeische Bank in 1893. In South America, its most important area of business, it operated as Banco Alemán Transatlántico. Its main businesses were financing German foreign trade with Central and South America as well as issuing bonds and financing infrastructure projects. In 1887, the first branch on the South American continent was opened in Argentina’s capital, Buenos Aires. Before the First World War, there were roughly 20 branches in South America and two more in Madrid and Barcelona. This expansionary phase was only resumed on a much more modest scale in the 1920s and 1930s. The outcome of the Second World War, however, led to the complete break off of business activities. It was not until 1953 that Deutsche Ueberseeische Bank was able to recommence its activities. It had relocated its headquarters from Berlin to Hamburg. In 1960, the Branch in Buenos Aires reopened. After the integration of Deutsche Ueberseeische Bank, the South American branches became branches of Deutsche Bank from 1978.
1886 - 1905
1906 - 1924
1925 - 1943/58
1959 - 1975